2012/09/22

Balls

People use their blogs for various things. I don't usually use mine to let out all my inner turmoil, but occasionally I do. That's what the post the other day was about. There's no real crisis. I just have to figure out a few things.

There is only so much time in a day, right? So, priorities, in only one of several possible orders:
  • My day job, which pays the bills and funds other activities
  • My band, Lisa's Hotcakes, and all things musical
  • Fashion merchandising school, and all things fashion and style related
  • Sweetie
  • My friends, and social activities in general
That's not all, of course. I have to make time for buying, preparing, and eating food; exercise; household chores; shopping; at least a little downtime; and no doubt several more things I'm forgetting at the moment.

Oh yeah, like sleep. Those who say "I'll sleep when I'm dead" will get there sooner than they wish.

Ideally, my main activities would be day job plus goal. As in day job plus music. Or day job plus fashion. Trouble is, I have day job plus music plus fashion. Plus all the rest.

I've been working on life after software for some time. I earned a certificate in counselling skills a few years ago. I have no regrets about the time I spent doing that, and I appreciate the skills I learned, but I decided against going to graduate school, and in this province you can't be a Registered Clinical Counsellor without a Master's degree. I took courses toward a certificate in technical writing, thinking I should be very, very practical in my choice of post-software careers. But I realized that after software, I did not want to go anywhere near high tech. It has been very good to me, and I am most appreciative, but before I retire and/or check out, I'm going to do something I love.

So I made a huge shift. I started working toward yet another certificate, this time in Fashion Merchandising. I have a passion for fashion (you knew I had to write that, yes?). I am enjoying my studies so far, even when there are a lot of assignments. Despite my age and lack of experience, I think I will be able to find or make myself a niche in the industry. I'm already networking and will do much more.

But there's that darned music thing. My focus is split. The rock and roll bug bites hard. Every time I tell myself it's never going to work, it pops back up and says, yeah, but it might. It works for some people. Maybe it will work for you.

You know how long ago that started? I was 10 years old (shhhh) when I saw the Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show. I didn't want to hold their hands (well, except maybe George's). I wanted to be them. Ten years old. That's kinda formative. It's as much or more a part of me as anything else.

A passion for fashion. A passion for music. I'm working on both. Am I hedging my bets? Or really, don't they fit together? We are a rather stylish band. Music and fashion (and occasionally anti-fashion) mesh very well. Even though I am not an aspiring designer, fashion is still a creative outlet for me—styling myself for now, hopefully styling others later. And music is my most obvious creative outlet. I should not try to separate one passion from the other. It's all art in some way.

So here's what imma do. Imma keep those balls in the air. Despite the weariness of age, despite pain in my left arm that's starting to worry me even more. I know how to juggle (for reals, although only three balls). I can keep these balls moving.

No comments: