2012/09/11

My cup runneth over

I remember answering a questionnaire a while back. One question it asked was whether I was feeling overwhelmed by information or whether I liked having all that to work through. I chose the latter.

I'm not so sure now. I might have hit the wall.

Tomorrow, I start a course called Merchandising Fashion, the lowest-numbered course in the Fashion Merchandising certificate program. I hope I'm ready! After this past week, I have my doubts.

You see, it's New York Fashion Week, the biggest show this side of the pond. It started with Fashion's Night Out last Thursday and continued through dozens and dozens of Spring/Summer 2013 collections. I'm supposed to be paying attention. I'm supposed to be looking for trends. But my RSS feed keeps piling up, and I just don't have the time to go through each one (many of which require that I click through). So I have seen very few photos from the S/S 13 collections. Not a great way to start a school year!

It's not just Twitter's fault, but it's largely Twitter's fault. Or rather, let's be honest, my fault for having two Twitter accounts that I'm following pretty closely.

I think the Lisa's Hotcakes account is important. @LisasHotcakes doesn't have many followers yet, but that takes time. Meanwhile, I'm trying to tweet interesting things and get retweeted from time to time. And I'm following musicians, bands, promoters, clubs, and radio stations. That's a lot of info.

My personal account, @v_diz, is for pretty much everything else I write about in my blog. I'm following lots of handles having to do with fashion, as well as feminism, food, politics, news, and friends. There is little overlap between the two accounts. Again, I don't have a lot of followers yet, but I do want to tweet at least a few interesting things a day. I hope they're interesting anyway, or at least weird or funny or catchy. I'm definitely no Sherman Alexie.

Of course I haven't given up Facebook, but I do find that I'm skimming. I haven't paid attention to my mostly-fashion Tumblr in weeks. And Sweetie noticed that (until today) I hadn't written any blog entries here for a while.

One thing I need to do to help the situation is the reduce the duplication. I've tried to figure out whether I like a site's Twitter feed or RSS feed better and to follow only one. I have to do the same with Facebook. If I'm getting band tweets, perhaps I don't need that band's updates on my timeline.

Still, there's no question that adding Twitter to the mix has knocked things off balance. I have to find some kind of balance again. And possibly to make things worse, those of us studying fashion are encouraged to have a Pinterest board on which to pin things that inspire us. So far, I've stayed away, but how long can that last?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Admiring the persistence you put into your site and in depth information you provide. It's good to come across a blog every once in a while that isn't the same outdated rehashed information. Wonderful read! I've bookmarked your site and I'm including your RSS feeds to my Google account.