2012/02/27

Called on the (red) carpet

People get cynical about Hollywood hype, and I understand that, but I still get sucked into it. I love the red carpet. I love the glamour. For me at least, it's still there.

Not that I watched the show. I watched most of the telecast last year. Apparently, I was the only one who enjoyed the rather wack hosting by Anne Hathaway (I would watch her do just about anything) and James Franco (I swear he was stoned). This year they had Billy Crystal back. I'm not a Billy Crystal fan. I love when comedians are funny—Jerry Seinfeld back in his stand-up days, Chris Rock, Louis C.K. Why not have Ellen DeGeneris host the Oscars? I'd watch then! Whoopi Goldberg used to do pretty well too. But Crystal? No thanks. He wishes he were funny. He's really just shtick. I think he likes the Oscar telecast because he knows he can get away with telling bad jokes that fall flat, as though that were somehow the intent.

Thankfully, there are the interwebs, chock full of what's really important—the couture. Oh, I checked a live blog from time to time to see who won what. Go Octavia Spencer! Woot for Christopher Plummer! (I haven't seen that performance, but hey, the oldest person ever to win—and he's Canadian.) Yay for the screenplay for The Descendents! I haven't seen The Artist or Hugo, so that was a bunch of awards that kind of went over my head, including most of the big ones. And I haven't seen The Iron Lady. I'm sure Meryl Streep was great. She always is. But I would have liked to have seen Viola Davis win.

But on to the important stuff! There are many good sites for red carpet shots. I referred to the MTV site for this. For tons and tons of pictures, Stylebistro has it all.

My favourite was Penelope Cruz in gorgeous blue off-the-shoulder Giorgio Armani. As someone wrote, it was like Betty Draper channelling Grace Kelly. She was elegant and beautiful! I think my second favourite was Emma Stone. I don't usually go for big bow-like things on the shoulder, but somehow this gown from Giambattista Valli Couture just worked. And she's always gorgeous! And right up there was Gwyneth Paltrow, not usually my favourite, in white Tom Ford with a cape that worked so well.

Natalie Portman was elegant in vintage Christian Dior with a gorgeous diamond necklace. Viola Davis won me over in a strapless green Vera Wang, although the bodice looked like a wardrobe malfunction waiting to happen. And I don't think I've ever seen Milla Jovovitch look anything but stunning, last night in a sparkly white one-shoulder Elie Saab. Octavia Spencer looked Oscar-worthy in a beautifully cut white Tadashi Shoji. I loved the pale blue lace from Elie Saab (always such great dresses) on Bérénice Bejo. I also loved Sarah Hyland in a beautiful pale plum Alberta Ferretti.

Although I'm not a fan of the peplum trend, I thought Michelle Williams pulled it off well in Louis Vuitton—minus the clashing pink clutch. I love that musician Esperanza Spalding rocked a no-label blue gown from eco-designer Prophetik, not to mention her amazing 'fro. Jessica Chastain looked wonderful in black and gold Alexander McQueen. I'm not usually much for black on the red carpet, but Melanie Griffith, no spring chicken, looked great in Yves St. Laurent.

Did I imagine myself as Stacy Keibler in gorgeous pale gold metallic Marchesa on the arm of George Clooney? What do you think?

Not crazy about Angelina Jolie in deep blue (I thought it was black) Atelier Versace slit up to there. Not crazy about the weird bodice on Rooney Mara's Givenchy gown. J-Lo in Zuhair Murad? J no. Others noticed that Cameron Diaz (in Gucci) was just not up to snuff last night. I usually love Marchesa, but Sandra Bullock's dress didn't work for me. Tina Fey in dark blue Carolina Herrera didn't wow me. Melissa Leo in a truly odd Reem Acra "gown" totally did not work. And Meryl Streep in gold Lanvin bathrobe (others said "shower curtain") was a fashion disaster.

There seemed to be more elegance in the couture this year. I loved that the guys were wearing real tuxedos with bow ties. One thing I would have liked to have seen with such gorgeous gowns was a bit more hair up, as a few did. It just seems to fit. Jessica Chastain would have looked so much more stunning that way!

Back to the actual awards before I finish. Check this out about women directors. What makes it even worse is that I haven't even heard about most of these films. And Pariah, which I really want to see, has never opened here.

1 comment:

Anji said...

The Artist is 'un must' as we say in French. I think it only got where it did because the people in the US thought that it was an American film. Needless to say that's all we've had on TV here today