2012/05/29

From Russia, not with love

I don't have analytics installed, but Blogger offers some basic statistics for your blog. One thing it shows you is which countries your traffic comes from.

Which country has the highest number of page views for my blog? Russia. No, I don't have a lot of Russian readers, even though I do have a Google Translate gadget installed. I'm afraid those page views are spam hits.

I hate spam hits.

Believe it or not, I actually like Spam®, at least if it's fried up and served with eggs. I'd be OK in the Monty Python Spam cafe. But spam? Not so much. It's annoying. It's a waste of time and space, and that's really all there is.

I know how email spam works. One sucker is all a spammer needs to make the spam worthwhile. But I'm not sure how blog spam works. Who wins from my page view count going up? How does anyone profit from that?

I wish there were a way to block it. As far as I know, it's basically harmless, but it's annoying. I'd love to get the satisfaction of stopping such stupid traffic. I'd love to see Russia fade on the map relative to the real hits I get from the United States, Canada, and several other countries.

What is it about Russia that makes it a bastion for useless scamming crap like this?

No comments: