2013/02/10

Sparkle and shine

"You are that special someone / We all want to meet" (me, "Bullet")
You know that person. Or maybe you're one of the few who are that person. There's something about them that is compelling to those around them. Everyone wants to know them. Everyone wants to be known by them. Everyone wants to be close to them and to be liked by them. There's something special about them that you can't quite put your finger on. They sparkle.

That's it: they sparkle.

I have never been a sparkly person, but I'm not complaining. I have wonderful friends who love me and might even think I sparkle, and I feel very blessed about that. But I'm not one of the real sparkly people. I don't think I was cut out to be a sparkly person. I'm one of the people who is drawn to sparkly people.

And I am friends with some sparkly people! There are sparkly people who like me, even love me.

Sparkly people aren't better than others. I know many good and interesting people who, like myself, aren't someone to whom masses of people are drawn. But that's what happens with sparkly people. Everyone knows they sparkle. They might not know it themselves, but I imagine they figure it out.

I also imagine that it's not necessarily enviable to be a sparkly person. Everyone wants a piece of you. Everyone wants some of your time. It's like being a celebrity within your own circle, and that can sometimes be difficult.

Everyone wants to be friends with sparkly people, but sparkly people can't be friends with everyone. It's just not possible. Which can sometimes lead to sad outcomes, like in this quietly amazing comic, which illustrates the inherent insecurity of at least some of us non-sparkly types.

But hopefully, everyone who wants to can find at least one sparkly person to be friends with. And I hope that sparkly people like being who they are. I imagine they do, which is part of their sparkliness. They're not perfect, but they project a certain confidence, a je ne sais quoi, that we love about them.

1 comment:

Anji said...

Ahhh! I liked the comic story.

Yes, they have confidence that we ordinary ones can only dream about...