2023/01/24

I'm walkin', yes indeed

West End whirligig
Some people prefer driving to do their normal business. Some prefer cycling, electric or "acoustic." These days, some probably prefer electric scooters or similar devices for getting around. My preferred modes of transportation are walking and taking transit.

It was after I crashed our Subaru in 2016 that I learned how much I could accomplish with my own two feet, public transit, and a two-wheeled grocery cart. I'm fortunate to be mostly able-bodied. My journeys aren't always the most pleasant, with snow or rain or packed buses or all three, but it feels good to have regained a little toughness that I had let slide away over the years. Even after we bought a used Nissan Versa, I continued to walk and take transit by default, using the car only when necessary.

One thing I love about walking and walking-plus-transit is that when I get to wherever I'm going, I don't have to store a vehicle. It's not always easy to find parking, it takes time, and most motor vehicle storage these days will cost you. A bicycle needs to be securely stored as well, and that requires a place to lock up and sometimes some amount of dismantling of the bike, plus carrying a helmet. Once I arrive at my destination, with my cart at most, I am free to do whatever errand I'm doing. I'm not sure I would be able to relax if I had an e-bike locked up somewhere.

Another thing I love is that my brain can be doing all kinds of things while I'm walking or on transit. I often use the time to work on songs. Sometimes I think through issues I'm dealing with. Sometimes I just ponder various and sundry things. I find walking a great time for contemplation. On a bus or SkyTrain, I tend to use my phone, read, or sometimes just look out the window, all things I can't do while operating my own vehicle.

Occasionally while walking I'll stop and take photos of plants. Sometimes I'll post on SeeClickFix because someone has allowed plant growth to take away a substantial amount of sidewalk space. I am a plant lover, but I'm militant about sidewalks for sidewalk users. Most are too narrow to start with.

If I get too deep in thought while driving, I am likely to end up the same way as I did six years ago, crossing an intersection I shouldn't have been in whilst getting smacked in the side by a vehicle with the right of way. Sometimes I don't even turn on the radio while I'm driving, because driving really requires all my attention. Same when I'm cycling. Even a recreational cyclist like me moves at speed, so I try to stay very aware of my surroundings. Are people really able to ride safely with headphones on?

Walking is also good exercise, of course. It's been a long time since I was a runner, and I don't think my knees would be happy if I started again, so walking is pretty much my only aerobic exercise. I tend to walk briskly to get the most aerobic benefit. Driving a car or any motorized vehicle is zero exercise. Cycling is great exercise, of course, although for real riders the point is to obtain speed, distance, and efficiency with the least amount of work.

I'm fortunate to live in a city and a part of that city where most of the errands I do are within a four-kilometre round trip. For me, that's a reasonable walk. I don't take transit very often within the city. I consider the slope up from the river, quite steep in places, to be an opportunity to increase my exercise level. When we first moved to this city, that hill seemed formidable, but before long I was power-walking both up and down. Although I no longer power-walk, I am still able to walk up even the steepest slope, and if I'm not knackered, I rather enjoy it.

I am a big supporter of replacing car trips with any kind of active transportation! I am a fan of my avid cycling friends. For my part, however, I will continue to replace car trips with walking and transit for as long as I am able. I have a lot to contemplate!

No comments: