2021/02/27

Ode to a loser

The dissonant ending to "Edge of Arpeg" gives way to the big major chords of "Nasty Boy" and its dissonant subject.

"Nasty Boy" started as another guitar riff, but one so commercial and normal sounding that I wasn't sure what to do with it. Then I found lyrics I had written, and the two fit right together, and I got over how normal it sounded and went with it.

It was already called "Nasty Boy," but it wasn't about anyone specific. I rewrote a several lines with a particular antagonist in mind, one who occupied the office of President of the United States for four, long, horrible years, and how now been turned into a bronze idol.

I'm happy the song came out as well as it did. It was the first one I recorded, the sessions during which I wrestled with technical issues and my own steep learning curve. I was not happy with how individually played drums were coming out (partly due to a latency issue that affected timing), so I decided to play live into stereo mics. I recorded the big strummed guitars, doubled. I recorded big fat guitars to take over after the bridge. I managed the two-part guitar solo. I doubled my vocal and then recorded the second vocals that repeat "STFU and get out of the way" through the outro.

If it reminds you of "Jet Airliner" by the Steve Miller Band, it's supposed to. If it sounds like the drums and cymbals especially are doing battle with the compressor, well, I've learned a few things about that.

No comments: