2021/02/21

Turning on a dime

I wrote "Elusive" during the Lisa's Hotcakes days, but I knew it wasn't a Hotcakes song. T-Bone and I recorded a really sludgy version as our loud drums-guitar duo V+T. That was not how I heard it in my head, so I wanted a second crack at it.

The song grew from something that was happening to me at the time, but now it feels more generalized. As well, even though it means something, it was also me having fun with the AAABAAAB rhyming scheme. It took me a while after I'd written the song to realize that the song has no chorus, just three verses, the last one repeated.

This was the first song I worked on after I crawled out of a mid-pandemic funk. I knew I had to change how I recorded the drums. I was happy playing the kit and recording in stereo, but I was much less happy when it came time to mix and master. As well, I knew I didn't have the chops to play what I heard in my head, so I recorded each piece separately.

The rest is bass, several guitars, and a vocal. Nothing fancy. Some ringing Peter Townshend chords in the middle eight. The "solo" after that is me fretting an open E chord and banging the strings randomly with the side of the pick. It's pretty much the V+T song deconstructed and reassembled.

No comments: